my kitten always bites me hard and attacks me, and is very wild. why is she only this way with me?

I am trying to get advice about a 9 mo old kitten who attacks me and bites me hard and uses her claws every time i go to pet her. Contrary to the last answer I do not rough house with her, she lives in a calm house, she is treated very well so it has nothing to do with how i am treating her. what i don't understand is why she does this to me but not to visitors who come to my house. when i said she does it even if sleeping, i didn't mean that i go and wake her up. obviously any cat annoyed might do that. what i mean was that if she is calmly resting (not in a deep sleep) on my lap and i gently stroke her she is fine for a minute or two and then will just attack me. i give her plenty of loving and i do feed her, so again i am just curious as to why she might be doing this to me but not to others. she does not like to be held or picked up much. she is given plenty of food but is still too aggressive with food/always wanting to eat mine/out of the trash, and is very hyper/wild.

Asked by Member 755937 on Dec 3rd 2008 in Aggression

Answers

Welcome to the world of kittens!

Kittens can have very unpredictable attitudes up until the age of about one year when they reach adulthood. They needs plenty of exercise along with some good TLC in order to grow up and become a friendly pet.

Have you been exercising your kitten? What your describing to me seems like lack of exercise. Like your kitten will suddenly pounce on your hand and mock attack it sounds like just a big burst of energy to me. Redirect her behavior into something more appropriate such as playing with a string ( supervised of course ) or chasing a laser pointer. Play with her every day for at least 45 minutes. You can do this in intervals, just as long as you get her out to play

Also, have you spayed your kitty yet? Unspayed/unneutered kitties can be a hastle to live with- they carry on many undesirable behaviors including aggression and unusually high energy. I would highly suggest that you spay your kitty to help prevent this unwanted aggression/energy.

My Delilah is what is called a "love biter". She will accept petting and "skritching" from me for a minute or so and then suddenly bite, sometimes hard. However, she will headbonk strangers and absolutely loves my husband who's not that fond of cats. If I observe her closely while I'm petting her, I can see the signs. Her eyes narrow, her ears sometimes go back and her fur will "stand up". I can almost feel her tensing up. It's probably why she languished in a shelter for a year. No one wants a cat that bites. We all want cuddly babies. But, some cats are not like that. Have you discussed all this with your vet? Kittens are playful and can be hyper, but if your cat truly "attacks" you with hissing and growling, then you need to talk to your vet. Chances are she will calm down as she ages, but patterns are set now in kittenhood and also need to be addressed with a professional now before it becomes part of the cat's behavior.

₮ơßע

If your cat didn't have the kitten and if you got it somewhere else well, some people are mean to animals so they get mean to.That might be the problem.

₮ơßע answered on 12/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer