My female cat that is 2 years old and fixed is suddenly is acting like she wants to go outside to mate.

My female cat that is 2 years old and fixed is suddenly is acting like she wants to go outside to mate. Every time I open the door she tries running out and today after I made her stay inside she got mad at me and ran upstairs and started making a moaning/crying sound. I had her fixed when she was 4 months old and never before has she done this. Any ideas? could another cat be outside spraying or something?

Asked by Member 1157814 on Mar 3rd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If your cat is spayed, she doesn't want to go outside to mate. You're probably right when you said there might be another cat out there, or even rabbits, birds, chipmunks, etc. When we moved to this house, we moved into an area where there are a number of outdoor and/or stray cats. When Izzie spots these cats, he makes a sound I can only describe as a "yodel". It's like when your dog barks and you know by the bark if there's someone at your door, someone walking a dog down the street, etc. I would caution you against giving into your cat and letting her outside. Let her be "mad" at you. You're doing her a favor by keeping her safe inside, trust me. Once she becomes an outdoor cat, she'll never again be satisfied to be indoors.