My female cat, Madison, is 6 years old and I never got her spayed. Is it too late or dangerous now?

I never felt the urgency before now because she was in the house with a male cat, Napoleon, who was neutered at about 8 months old. However, now I have a 1 year old female cat who started going into heat about 4 months ago and Madison, who is 6 years old has started to spray all over the house. To make matters even worse, little Sasha has started doing the same. I can't take it...it's driving me crazy and I have thrown away a sofa, curtains, clothes, you name it because of it. They even peed in my turtle's tank. I think the best solution is getting both female cats spayed. What do you think?

Asked by Member 639772 on Jun 1st 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Spirit

I left for California for 4 days - total time - and when I got back my moms & their kittens had destroyed a brand new $1500 couch and love seat made of black velvet velour. It took me 2 days of scrubbing to get the smell out of the front room and the couch set is now setting by the trash can. Anybody got a dog that needs a sofa can have it. The cushions I took off for my dogs to lay on and they love it - go figure.

I wanted to get my 8 year old dog fixed but was told she was to old. It may be the same with your cat at 6 years old. But, I would denfintely get them fixed - though it is hard to say whether it will cure the spraying or not.

Call your vet. He is the best for advice of this nature. All my cats except for my oldest who uses a cat litter box weven when she is mad at me, gets to stay in the house. The rest became outside kittys when I picked up the scrub brush.

Spirit answered on 6/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Suey ♥

Getting Sasha spayed is a good idea. I have not heard of 6 being too old for desexing. It is fairly routine at the shelter I work at for cats of that age to be desexed. Of course you'd need to talk it over with your vet, but I can't imagine it being a problem.

Spaying can help with spraying.

Good luck:)

♥ Suey ♥ answered on 6/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You're right on by saying they both need to be spayed, for many reasons, not the least of which are unwanted kittens and a home that reeks of cat urine from competing females marking their territories. A six year old female in human years is comparable to late 30s or early 40s. As long as she's healthy, I don't see any reason not to get her spayed. If two spay surgeries are a little too pricey for you, check in your area for a low-cost spay and neuter or a humane rescue who may know of a program where you can have the surgeries done for a lower fee.

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

For what it's worth, START with teh younger one.

That may cure some of the problem on it's own, and she's at an age where her heats are going to be icky for the family to live with.

6 is not "too old", but it's definatly older for a female cat, and many vets will recommend waiting if it's a house pet and not let outdoors. But the little one is defenately a candidate for the surgery.

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 6/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

It is never to late to have an animal spayed or neutered. Kitties (or dogs) should have pre-anesthetic bloodwork done, especially if they are over the age of 5. The blood work will let your vet know how your organs are working and what, if any, special precautions need to be taken with the anesthesia.

Hunter answered on 6/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

6 is not too old for a spay. I would have both your girls spayed. That way the spraying will decrease, you won't have to deal with kitties in heat, AND it improves their health in the long run. It's win all the way around.