Chaz

my eight month old Maine Coon kitten has stopped eating his kitten food and is eating the food out for my five year old

Asked by Chaz on Apr 14th 2009 in Vitamin Supplements

Best Answer

To be very honest, when I rescued Izzie, he was about 4 months old. Since he was borderline feral, my vet suggested I keep him in a large cage until he was socialized. By the time I released him and he was a member if the rest of the animal population here he was probably around 6 months old. I have 2 other (adult) cats and he found their food within ten minutes of his exploration of our house and chowed down on it. He has grown to be a 15 lb. (plus) healthy, bratty adult cat. He has consistently gotten rave reviews from his vet. All his systems are constantly on 'go', and judging from the way he tears around our house and terrorizes his sisfurs, he doesn't lack at all for energy. and/or stamina. Unless your other cat is on special diet for a health issue, I wouldn't worry about it. He may, however, experience some looser than usual stools while his system adjusts to the adult food.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Apr 14th.

Answers

I agree with Izzy. Adonis actually did much better on an all stages food compared to the kitten food he was started out on. Very quickly after I switched him, his hair began to feel like rabbit fur and it hasn't changed since.

He now eats 1/2 cup of EVO kibble and 1 1/2 ounces of canned food a day to maintain his weight of 15 pounds (may be more but I haven't weighed him recently).

I am surprised that you were able to feed them separately at all. I have never tried with mine. I have 5 ranging in age from 6 months to 2 years and I have always just blended Royal Canin adult Persian formula 50/50 with Royal Canin kitten formula and my bowls are all lined up in a row for anybody to eat from. However, an all ages formula like Innova EVO or Natural Balance products would be the easiest way to go. For now, I would just put a little of Chaz's food mixed into the 8 month old's bowl of kitten food to see if it will entice him to eat his own. PS. Chaz is gorgeous!

The Magnificent Seven

Your profile says you're a Persian but your question says you're a Maine Coon...you're not a Maine Coon, and you certainly look at least part Persian to me. Leaving that aside, I've had kittens (defined as under one year) in my household for more than two years, and for quite a while I was feeding all of the cats kitten food, but that led to Spike getting even fatter (kitten food is high in calories) and Harvey getting diarrhea (it's also high in fats). Right now, everyone is eating a very unscientific diet of Science Diet Hairball Control, which makes everyone have firm bowel movements, and the occasional can of wet food as a supplement/treat. It's better to feed your kittens kitten food or an all life stages food, but if you have multiple cats, that means feeding them separately and having regular meal times (impossible with my work schedule--I free feed). The three kittens remaining from my last litter are doing just fine, although they really should be eating something better.

The Magnificent Seven answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer