Austin Valentino loving memory

My diabetic cat has lost one canine tooth and now has to have the other extracted. Will he be able to eat ? Will he be

Asked by Austin Valentino loving memory on Jun 3rd 2010 Tagged canineteethincats in Dental Care

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

Freckles has no teeth at all and can eat fine including dry food. Make sure they give your cat pain meds and antibiotics after the surgery to help him heal more quickly. That is especially important for a diabetic cat as they are prone to infections more easily. Getting rid of the bad tooth should actually help his blood sugars over time.

Usually after having teeth removed you'll be told to feed wet food for a few days while their mouth heals. Wet food has much fewer carbs than dry so if he normally eats dry you need to ask your vet for advice what to do. One thing you can do is soak his dry food in water and blitz it in a blender so you get soft food for his mouth but with thesame carbs he normally gets.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 6/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Inky Angel Dreamboat #42b

I had no teeth and just could not stop eating that dry. I just liked it more than the wet. I would eat a bit of wet and then gum away. I did use pain medication but only for a day or two when I had my last 2 teeth out. Then I was up and eating like a champ. Purrs

Inky Angel Dreamboat #42b answered on 6/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Shadow only has her fangs and her inscissors, and she eats just fine. She eats wet food only, but used to eat dry food years ago until we learned about feline nutrition. Most cats do not chew their food anyhow, they swallow it whole, or will learn to. DO NOT soak kibble in any liquid, as bacteria can form and if it is not eaten in a half hour they can get very sick, and even can cause death.

Shadow answered on 6/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer