My cats have nearly stopped eating.

It's very hot where I live (96 degrees by 9AM), and my indoor cats have nearly stopped eating. They cry each time I go in the kitchen (where they eat), so I know they're hungry, but they don't want anything I give them. I'm very worried. What can I do?

Asked by Member 850549 on Jun 2nd 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

We recently had a heat-wave here as well. It was in the low 80's by 9AM. Cats usually tolerate heat pretty well. Nothing stops my cats from eating, although I did notice their wet food went mostly untouched for those days. I tempted them with canned tuna a few times and that went over really well. Try changing their feeding times to the evening when it should be cooler, or earlier in the morning before the temperature spikes. Make sure they have plenty of fresh water and even invest in one of those pet fountains as some cats love moving water to drink. If they continue their hunger strike, you may want to at least phone your vet for more advice.