my cat's bowl had tiny red bugs in the water and food. No wings, what are they?

It was a big bunch gathered in the water and many in the food. This happened in the span of hours. They were nowhere else, just in the bowl. Did they come out of my cat?

Asked by Member 717217 on Aug 25th 2008 Tagged bugs, food in Health & Wellness

Answers

Indeed, they did come out of your cat. These bugs are know as harvest mites, or chiggers. These mites may seem harmless, but they are blood sucking pararsites that are found everywhere, and can cause alot of damage. Im glad you asked this question before going to the vet , in case it was just something else. I would get your cat from mediacation, and keep him inside, so it wont get worse. giving your cat a flea collar and putting an anti bug wipe or spray before letting him out can be a good way to help this from happining again.

Xica

If they are tiny, the size of a pinhead, they could be clover mites, and essentially harmless insect that can hatch in large numbers at certain times of the year. there's some info about them here:

ohioline.osu.edu

If they're inside vacuum them up, outside you can probably just hose them away.
I think it's highly they they came out of or pose any real danger to your cat.

Xica answered on 8/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category