Ziggy

My cat won't stop begging for food, what to do!?

My cat Barnum is always eating! Both sides of his bowl are filled with kitty food and he eats it all, sometimes. He then gets some water and sits on the couch. But when he hears the fridge open he jumps up and races into the fridge and looks for food. I push him away and ever tried spraying him with a bottle of water. But it doesn't make a difference.
Then at dinner, he sits in the chair with you and waits till you give him scraps. I don't know why he thinks he can get scraps. Nobody in the house feeds him human food. He steals it and runs. It becomes so bad that he will climb up your legs (jeans or not) and claw your leg to get up to food. I love him to death and hate to be mean but he needs to stop. He is a 4-5 month old kitten and I worry about his health. He is getting a bit chubby but not exactly over wheight. Any tips or ideas?

Asked by Ziggy on Aug 16th 2009 Tagged foodkittenbegging in Behavior & Training

Answers

Gracie

Tips:

1. At 5 months he is old enough where you can start giving him meals. Do not free feed cats, it's really not good for them. I give my 2 cats two portions of food: one in the morning, the other at night. If they finish all their food at once, they just have to wait for more food. They don't cry for food because they know it doesn't work and I won't give them more food. In fact one of my cats understands the concept of meals so well that he saves his food so he can finish it right before the bowl gets "full" again.
2. Either put him in another room when you eat, or make sure to time his dinner close to when your occurs, and have his bowl on the other side of the house if possible. Our cats eat at 7 PM, and we shortly thereafter. They're not beggars to begin with, but being busy with their own food sure does help.

Gracie answered on 8/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think that while he's at the clawing stage you should shut him out of the eating area completely. After about a week, try again, and try the feeding right before that the last poster suggested. It does lead me to wonder why he goes for your food though...Has anyone given him human food? Maybe whoever you got him from? is he an indoor/outdoor cat? Maybe your neighbors feed him.

Shadow

Kittens do need alot of calories, once they hit about 8-9ths though, no more free feeding, you will have to set times (breakfast and dinner)
Though if you switch your cat to a high protein wet food they will tend not to overeat, this is also closer to their natural food in the wild, dry food is species innappropriate for an obligate carnivore.
Read a site called catinfo.org
great info there.

Shadow answered on 8/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer