Kwazimoto

My cat wants nothing to do with me :(

A while ago my cat got into a nasty fight with another cat. He got bit on his hind leg. I saw the wound and got a fright. I asked my parents if we can take him to a vet, but my dad said no, it will heal by itself. After a few days it did actually heal, but then it burst open again and formed an abscess. Finally my dad said we can take him to the vet.

The vet cleaned and drained the wound and gave me some cleansing solution to clean the wound everyday. I did that the following day but all of a sudden he started foaming out of his mouth. The foam was very bloody and gooey. We took him back to the vet and turned out he had a chemical burn in his mouth all the way down to his stomach.

He had to stay there for a whole week and they fed him through a tube. When he came back home he was disorientated and scared. He started this strange habit of pulling out all his fur, it had gotten so bad that half his tail and his one rear leg had no fur anymore. It was later identified that he was s

Asked by Kwazimoto on Aug 16th 2010 Tagged behaviour, fear, anger, stress, health in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Your cat has been through a very traumatic experience. He was badly hurt and in pain and your family (your father, you said) refused to take him to the vet. It became infected due to lack of medical care and got so bad it split the skin. Then, he finally was taken to the vet which is stressful for a healthy cat not to mention a sick one. Somewhere along the way he ate something he shouldn't have. If he's left outside to roam, he could have gotten into any number of things. THAT was so bad it has eaten away at his mouth and his stomach. Its actually a miracle he's still alive. Then he had to stay in a strange place, all alone, where they hurt him some more trying to make him better after all this. Finally, he's now pulling out his fur. This is a classic sign of stress. Your cat is so terribly weirded out, he doesn't know WHAT to do. Your vet may have to put him on anti-anxiety medication just to calm him down. What he needs now is unconditional love from everyone in your family.