My cat started scratching her head and neck while also shaking her head, this resulted in some fur loss. It evolved to t

the other cat and now my dog. they have seen 3 vets, had 4 scrapings, tested for scabies and ringworm. The vet administered advantage, ivermectin and an anti-fungal cream with no results. They are indoor cats. Nothing new has been introduced to the house as well as they've been on the same food. The vet ruled out allergies since all pets are affected. I also wanted to note there is no flea infestation either. What do I do???

Asked by Member 1139821 on Nov 8th 2012 Tagged scratching in Health & Wellness

Answers

If it's not parasites, mites, mange, or anything like that, but all your animals have it, it's GOT to be an allergy to something in your home. I've heard of animals being allergic to that powder stuff you sprinkle on carpeting to kill pet odors, and also to the chemicals applied by lawn care companies. If your dog got into it when he went outside, it could even be poison ivy or poison oak that was transferred to the other animals. It does sound like some sort of contact allergy. It might not even be obvious to you, but I have to think there's something in your home that's causing your animals' discomfort.

Batfink

As Izzie has suggested it does sound like an allergic reaction, looked up a little link for you hope it helps
pets.webmd.com

Batfink answered on 11/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer