My cat needs to go on a diet. Any suggestions on the best way to feed him?

My 10 year old male cat weighs 18 lbs. How much canned and dry food should I be feeding him to loose some weight? Presently I am feeding him Proplan 1/4 cup wet food twice a day and dry food is in his dish during the day. A suggestion was to take away the dry food during the day while I am working.

Asked by Member 1064131 on Apr 17th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Toby

Is he on the Senior food? It's just as filling with fewer calories so he won't realise he is missing out.

Toby answered on 4/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

max

Try feeding a better quality of food. Purina is food that contains fillers which your cat is forced to eat for him to obtain the nutrition he needs. These fillers contain animal by productsmostly consisting of road kill beaks feet horns fur fat rotten intestines etc. Feeding a quality diet provides the proper nutrition without the bulk that's strains their digestive tract your wallet and makes Kitty's box full. Feeding a quality highly digestable food saves money. It may. Cost more by pound but Kitty eats less poops less saving money on food litter and vet visits. Purina sucks. Read up on feline nutrition then read labels. Yeah a old leather shoe is 80% protein but if you can't digest it what good is it?

max answered on 4/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You may consider switching his food to a light, low calorie or weight management food. Your vet can help you determine how much to feed him.

go to catinfo.org for a very good discussion of feline obesity and what and how to feed.

My cat was about 5 pounds over weight and would eat and eat, he still loves to eat, but I got a really good automatic catfeeder that feeds him twice a day a certain amount recommended by my vet and he lost weight and is doing great. I also feed him organic cat food with no fillers.