MY cat licks himself until he bleeds. Help!

Please help. For as long as I've had my cat he's been a licker. He's 5 years old. He is almost always cleaning himself. Granted, cats are suppose to clean themselves, so I thought nothing of it. But currently he has been licking himself in a spot by his neck until it bleeds. My mother and I have been adding neosporin on it but he licks it right off. We have those collars, but I fear that would stress him out even more. I can't figure out what's stressing him. Yesterday he puked a hair ball that was at least 4 inches long and almost rock hard with hair. It was amazing that he didn't choke on it due to the massive size and texture. I know he should go to the vet but he is an indoor cat. My past cat was put on steroids and it made him gravely ill. He ended up dying. My mother and I are very hesitant because we don't want to put him on steroids or any medication. We just want him better. Please email me @ b.novak95@gmail.com if you have any idea or personal stories to help me.

Asked by Member 1142316 on Nov 26th 2012 Tagged skin, bleeding, nervoushabit, licking, grooming in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Cats can overgroom due to stressful situations as well as physical issues. Unfortunately, not knowing your cat or your lifestyle, it's very difficult for us to say "this is why he's doing this." and tell you how to solve the issue. Your only alternative is to take him to the vet. Find one that you trust and can speak honestly with. Even indoor cats need to go to a vet. They are really the only ones who can help.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Nov 26th.

There Are No Other Answers