My cat keeps pooping on the couch. How do I get him to stop! He is 6 years old and has a long history of behavioral iss

I took him a year ago from my mother's house because he was pooping on her couch and she was going to put him down. I thought he was doing it because she had 2 other cats. He has continued the behavior here but every 2 months he'll do it and then stop. Could i transition him to being an outside cat?

Asked by Member 1044383 on Aug 8th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Making him into an outdoor cat probably isn't a good idea. It would be better just to try to rehome him. He doesn't have any "street creds" and won't last long out there. In addition, it won't cure the problem, just get him out of your hair so to speak. If you do let him back in, chances are he'll still poop on the couch. Even if he does return to your house, your neighbors might not like him using their flowerbeds as a litter box, chasing birds from their feeders, etc. and people who are irritated with animals can do some nasty things to them. Have you chatted with your vet about him? If you're serious about trying to reform him, your vet can prescribe kitty anti-depressents and advise you on behavioral modification. You can also use tin foil or bubble wrap on your sofa to make it less hospitable for him. There are also "off!" mats sold to keep pets off furniture. If you really want to keep him, you need to confer with your vet, share his history and personality and ask them for help.