Miss

My cat keeps attacking my other cat?

I have an 8 year old Siamese (Myra), she's a very sweet girl and is extremely submissive, but we had to rehome her housemate. Myra showed signs of loneliness after a while so we decided it was time to get her a new one.

After some searching, I found a 5 year old Norwegian Forest cat, Nora, and when I got her, I introduced them properly and gradually. It seemed fine for a little while, but now she won't stop picking on the Siamese!

We have two litterboxes and feed them in two different spots, but if Myra tries to eat or use the litterbox Nora will attack her! And it's not the playful kind, but she's actually trying to hurt her and Myra's becoming very shy and withdrawn which is just not like her. In order to feed Myra or give her a chance to use the litterbox I have to tie Nora up outside (we have a large balcony). She will randomly attack her unprovoked!

Please help, I don't know what to do! People are trying to shame me for thinking about rehoming her, but I don't know what to do!

Asked by Miss "Myra" May on May 9th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

As the resident cat, Myra deserves respect and even submission from Nora. It's possible that Nora was always a bully and that may be why SHE was up for adoption. It's more than likely a territorial thing. Make sure you have plenty of scratchy posts/boxes, and even a carpeted kitty tower with "bolt holes" or places Myra can go to hide if needs be. It's difficult, but do not show favoritism to either cat. That provokes the aggression from Nora. If you can, get a string toy and let both cats play together stalking it. Praise them for cooperating, etc. Rather than tie Nora up, I would be tempted just to put her in a "time out" room such as a bathroom. Restraining her like that just adds to her dark mood and aggression/jealousy of Myra. If the cats have not been to a vet recently, you may want to take them in for a "well-kitty" check. Sometimes when there are health issues, it will provoke aggressive behaviors. At that time, share this behavior with your vet and ask for their advice.

Max

Hi,
If you have the TV channel animal planet there is a show called my cat from hell.Jackson Galaxy has done wonderful things with cats.He has lots of tips.He also has a web site that has lots of testimonies of how he helped people and their cats. I hope this helps.www.jacksongalaxy.com.

Max answered on 5/10/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oh...I feel for you! I had that happen, too. I would suggest them eating together as a bonding exercise (with you there). Also, try getting them to play together and maybe share treats. Unfortunately, like humans, some just don't get along and some cats just like to be the only one which may be the case with your newest addition.
Eventually Myra might just stand up for herself...that would be the best scenario but I really don't believe in keeping two cats together that don't get along. It just stresses everyone out.
I hope everything works out!