Tetley T. Sperry

My cat just fell from our top floor onto the railing on the stairs leading to the first floor. Hes behaving normal, ...

My cat just fell from our top floor onto the railing on the stairs leading to the first floor. Hes behaving normal, purring when I cuddle him, playing, not limping or flinching when I touch him and rub his belly (which is what he fell onto). He seems okay, but I'm worried - what if he has internal bleeding or something? We're in the middle of a snowstorm and I don't have a car to take him to the vet. What kind of things can I look for in him as signs he's hurt internally?

Asked by Tetley T. Sperry on Feb 8th 2013 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

I can say for almost certain that he's not injured. If he were bleeding internally, his stomach area would be sensitive and he'd bite or growl when you touched him. If he's eating, playing and cuddling, then he's probably allright. But, having said that, you do need to monitor him to make sure that everything stays OK. Watch his poop to make sure there's no blood in it. Watch for vomiting. If you are in the middle of "Nemo", we send thoughts and prayers for your safety! Let us know how everything turns out!