taffy,kit,tiny,tiara

my cat just died from a seizure what could cause a seizure?

Asked by taffy,kit,tiny,tiara on Jun 5th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Hannah

A sudden severe seizure in a previously healthy cat could be from a lot of things. Brain hemorrhage, brain tumor, poisoning, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), or organ failure. If it was an older cat it's a tragedy but there isn't anything you could have done differently. If it was one of these 3 week old kittens however it's an entirely different story. The kitten could have died from a congenital problem, nutritional problems, or from some sort of infection you weren't aware they had and either way the surviving kittens are at risk for similar fates and need to be checked out by your vet as soon as possible. One particularly nasty infection for kittens that can cause seizures is distemper and if that is the case here the littermates need supportive care immediately if they are to have any chance of survival, even if they seem OK now.

Hannah answered on 6/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, I am very sorry for your loss. I had a cat who had seizures at least once a month. She has since passed, but due to kidney failure. The seizures were "idiopathic", or of unknown origin. Seizures in cats can be caused by viruses such as FIV, feline leukemia, FIP, and distemper, to name a few. If your cat died from a seizure, chances are it lasted too long (more than a few minutes) and caused death. The brain neurons misfire and cause seizures. Also, seizures can be caused by toxins such as flea medications. Yes! My cat had seizures within 24 hours of Front Line applications. It happened on two different occasions and I then switched to Advantage with no problems. I will never use Front Line again for that reason. Again, I am sorry for your loss. I hope I have been of some help to you since my cat used to have seizures. A follow-up with your veterinarian would be advisable, as he/she may be able to shed some light on the cause of death. God bless!