My cat is waking me up so early in the morning to eat. It's getting out of hand.

We started shutting the door but she doesn't like that. Now she's just clawing and meowing at the door - it never ends! Some mornings she will start at 4am and not stop until we wake up at 7. I have 2 cats and my older male is very patient but he does like to watch little sister complain. I'm afraid one of these days he'll chime in too! They are both on a raw/canned food diet so I can't leave more out for them...Any advise for a very tired cat lover?

Asked by Member 1135138 on Oct 10th 2012 Tagged wakingmeup in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Joey

My cat Joey does this - he is just insatiable - but still I have managed to get him to trim down from 22lbs to 15lbs. My suggestion is to modify the times you feed your kitties - the stretch between meals may be too much for her. Occasionally Joey will have a "hungry day" and he is on all wet food so like you I don't like to leave it down - so I will break it up and give him a little just before I go to bed. This helps - it really does. Another tactic of mine when he gets nuts and starts knocking everything on the floor to wake me up - is I keep treats near my end table and they will usually hold him off in a pinch. Joey’s situation is different of course because he is on a diet – but when I started he would get himself so worked up bellowing for his next meal he would make himself vomit – he still does if he has to wait too long – so I feel your pain. Modify the feeding schedule and see if she is more satisfied to let you have a good night sleep. Good luck!

Joey answered on 10/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You could also try a timed feeder. There are models which hold those "blue ice" type cold packs so you could load it up with canned food.