My cat is very sick?

We have a kitten who is about 12 weeks. We have had her about a month and she is extremely sick. She's been in the vet hospital for the 2 out of the 4 weeks we have had her. She has uncontrollable diarrhea and goes all over the house. We have to confine her to the bathroom and when we go in there is diarrhea everywhere. We can't take this anymore! A free cat has turned into $600+ in a month, we feel awful for her and the vet continues to say its parasites and gives her antibiotics but it never stops!

Asked by Member 1137459 on Oct 24th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this trauma. I don't want to judge the vet, but would like to suggest that you change vets, or ask this one for a referral to a specialty veterinary clinic staffed by vets who specialize in gastrointestinal and other issues. Since you most likely obtained the kitten from a private home, unfortunately you have no recourse for reimbursement of any expenses as you might with a shelter or rescue if you can prove the kitten was sick when you got it. I feel the kitten needs specialized testing that may be beyond what this vet can do for her. We send you many purrs and hope for a full recovery.

I am so sorry this has been very difficult for your family, and the little kitten! I have to wonder what this kitten is eating. I fostered kittens that I rescued and one had terrible diarrhea. She could not have any milk and had to eat special food. Talk to your vet, and if you don't get better results, a second opinion is certainly needed. I wish you all the best and hope kitty gets better soon!