My cat is scared to go into the litter box ):

So I have 3 cats. I've had two of the cats (brother & sister) since they were kittens. They're 2 years old now. Jynx is the male, and Pepper is the female. And about when they were a year old, (a year ago), I saved a stray female cat (Coco). Coco does not like the other cats, they don't like her. But Jynx likes to chase her a lot, but he chases Pepper too. But he started chasing Coco out of the litter box, so now she is scared to go into it or something. I think it may be because of the noise of the litter, I don't know. She'll go somewhere else, and I've tried so many things to get her to stop that, go back into the litter box. But she won't ): I need help!

Asked by Member 1136146 on Oct 16th 2012 Tagged litterbox in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Cats feel very vulnerable when they are using the box. Imagine how you'd feel if you were using the toilet and suddenly, someone ran in and chased you out. I doubt if it is the noise of the litter. It's time for you to be the Mamacat and run interference for Coco. Don't shriek or smack Jnyx but when you see Coco head for the box, make sure Jnyx leaves her alone even if you have to pick him up. Try putting Coco in her own quiet room with a box, food, water and a closed door. Give her a chance to de-stress and feel comfortable in the box. When you see Jnyx in "attack-mode", stop him even if you have to put HIM in a room for a few minutes. If there's a lot of yelling, hissing and chasing when Coco tries to go to the bathroom, that's what scaring her and making her avoid the box. All your cats should have their own box, btw.