My cat is losing weight, the vet thinks it could be IBS but i'm worried, can anyone help?

My cat (Baghera) is a 5/6 year old cross-breed male. He's been neuteured (years ago), wormed and has flea protection. Over the last 2 months or so, he has lost all interest in food and is very lethargic. He's lost about 1Kg from his body weight and I am so worried. He's been going to the vet, who ran blood tests at first, they didn't point to anything and looked normal. The vet believes it to be IBS and has been giving him anti-inflammatories and a stomach setlling liquid, but Baggy doesn't seem to be picking up much. He is still losing weight and sleeping alot, and today he started to vomit a bit. Has anyone experienced this or can anyone help at all? I don't know what to do anymore.

Asked by Member 904762 on Oct 25th 2009 Tagged malelostappetitevomitingweightlosslethargysleeping in Illness & Disease

Answers

Shadow

Though we are not Vets here, we do try to give some advice. I myself would be worried that your cat probably now has Hepatic Lipidosis. this is a disease of the liver. If your cat is not eating, you need to take your cat to the vet and get them to put a feeding tube in, and be fed a watered down high protein, low carb wet food, this can be left in and your cat sent home with it in. This will give your cat more energy to fight whatever is wrong. IBD is something that is hard to diagnose, and vets may say that this is what your cat has, if they dont know what is wrong. Your cat has to eat now!!!

Shadow answered on 10/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

De Do/Bud/Spud

The same thing happened to my cat but she was 18, try some milk if that doesn't work than you might have to force feed if nessarary.

De Do/Bud/Spud answered on 10/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Coralie Grace

The problem with the bloodwork your vet took is that its like a Polaroid. If you took a snapshot of me right now and within a week I cut and dyed my hair then the snapshot of me would no longer be accurate. You know?

Your vet needs to do a full profile on your kitty ASAP.

Coralie Grace answered on 10/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry it sounds like FIP.and there is no cure it is horrible. Get your vet to take a blood test and send it to the university of Glasgow for testing. If the titer levels come back high this is what it is. I have just lost one of mine to this and i tried to nurse him through it. He had to be syringe fed every hour on a specially mixed food. He was taking 15 tablets a day injections every day. Eventually he had to have a nappy on and be creamed like a baby as the medication gives them diahreer. You wont have long with him he will just get sicker @ sicker and if you have other cats he could infect them as well. It is uncurable all over the world. Even the UK & the US have no cure. If you love him Have him put to sleep. So very very sorry for youxxx

I am not a veterinarian, but two things come to mind. Have your veterinarian review your cat's kidney and liver functions from the recent bloodwork. Second, change your cat's food to a grain free diet. This worked for my cat who had IBS or pancreatitis. It too was never really diagnosed, but the grain free food has worked for 2 years. My cat was also lethargic and almost died until I came up with the idea of the grain free food. Hopefully, it is not a more serious problem with his kidneys or liver. Best of luck.

Smokey

Please have your vet start your cat on forced feeding right away my vet didn't get aggressive soon enough with my 3 year old cat who quit eating for a few days and lost weight and he passed away from Fatty Liver .

Smokey answered on 11/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer