Puar

My cat is licking EVERYTHING

My kitten is 4months old now siamese mix and she is licking everything. our faces, fingers, arms, clothes, xbox controller, xbox.everything. I'm just wondering if that is Normal behavior. She's getting enough to drink I think. Although I only have to refill her bowl like once every 3 days so maybe not. I'm taking her to the vet soon once all of our bills are paid but I wanted to see what our furry friends thing about her licking obsession.

Asked by Puar on Jun 28th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Our dog, an English Springer, does the same thing. She will frantically lick us, the chairs, herself, and the only thing we can think of is obsessive/compulsive disorder. She has licked the tops of her front legs so badly the fur is all discolored. There is no rhyme or reason to it as she does it all the time, not only during stressful times. Lizzie, my cat, is also a licker, but not as bad. Puar should have fresh water, whether the bowl is empty or not, each day. I have a "kitty fountain" that plugs in and stream fresh water 24/7 and my cats love it. It gets them to drink more. All you can do is tell Puar to stop when she starts licking anything and be consistent. Don't yell at her, just push her away from whatever she's licking. Distract her with a toy.

Pepper

Well I cant say why she is licking everything, you should really give your kitty fresh water at least once a day, regardless of how much she's drinking! Once every 3 days is not fresh at all. All u need to ask yourself is, would u drink water that has been sitting out for 3 days? ;) You would not believe how fussy they are, and not getting enough fresh delicious water can and will lead to dehydration which can lead to even more severe issues, and it could be causing the excessive need to lick, to find water. Think of how much dust can land on your floor in one day, and that all settles on the water too. It may help ;) I hope :)

Pepper answered on 6/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer