My cat is ill, the vet cant find anything wrong, what do I do now?

She was fine then in a matter of 3 hours was lethargic, wont eat or drink. the vet cant find anything wrong. the blood tests were perfect. She has urinated twice in 2 days and had one bowel movement, but she still wont eat or drink.

Asked by Member 647086 on Jun 26th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

There has to be a reason why an otherwise healthy kitty suddenly went off her feed and became lethargic. If it were my cat, I'd take her to an emergency clinic, have them repeat the blood tests and do an x-ray or ultrasound. Three days is pretty much the limit with a cat not eating or drinking and she may wind up on an i.v. for fluids. What other exams did your vet do? Vets seldom will give up on a sick kitty and say "I can't find anything wrong so there must not BE anything wrong." If this has happened, either go to an emergency pet clinic or call another vet and tell them what you told us. Also, go over your kitty's travels in the past few days. If she's outdoor, could she have been poisoned? Injured in some way? You need to seek further care for her. Purrs and prayers for her from us.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jun 27th.

Answers

Bella

That is pretty sad your vet responded that way.. I'd consider changing vets if I were you! If her blood looked normal than they should be keeping her for observation if she's not eating! I hope you get to an emergency clinic right away.. because I don't think she will make it too much longer if she is not eating or drinking.... good luck!

Bella answered on 6/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Simba

Sometimes if you try a can of fancy feast even if you have to offer it on a spoon...and wait for cat to lick it, it will eat that. If you have to, use a syringe to get water into her. (if you don't have syringes you can find them at pet store or sometimes vet will give you one)
I put it in the corner of the mouth and gently keep releasing until it is all gone. just keep her hydrated and if the fancy feast doesn't work, I'd try tuna in water, also baby food has been known to work in some cases when a cat hasn't been eating...they will eat a litle of that.
Also, until you can get to another vet should you choose to have another check her out,
I would visit the web site called God bless the animals...they will take your prayer requests and i always go there whenever mine are experiencing problems...it has been answered many times. I guess sometimes their Maker can perform miracles when the vet and their mommies and daddies can't fix things...
please let us know how she does...

Simba answered on 6/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer