My cat is depressed after we adopted a friend for him

Kaz is really upset ever since Gina passed away, so we got a new kitty named Aggie to be his friend. Now he won't eat or sleep and it's been four days, he just hides away looking depressed. I'll pick him up and try to play with him using toys but he just runs away to mope. I really don't know what to do I even tried feeding him tuna from the can and he won't even taste it. Please help!

Asked by Member 1155718 on Feb 17th 2013 Tagged depressed, cat, depressedcat, introducingcats, newcat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Kaz may not have been ready to accept a new friend. If you brought Aggie home and just turned her loose in your home, Kaz is also upset about having his "space" invaded by a stranger. When we bring a new kitty home, we should always separate them from the other animal(s) until everyone is used to everyone else, sometimes even for as long as a week or 10 days. It's like if your significant other suddenly brought someone home and said, "I still love you, but this other person is going to live with you and us, I will love them and take care of them and you're just going to have to get used to it." Since it's been 4 days, if it were me, I'd call my vet. That's a long time for a kitty to go without eating. There may be something else wrong besides depression. Not eating and hiding are 2 red flags of not feeling well. When you go to the vet, ask them how to go about introducing Aggie to Kaz.