my cat is breathing funny?

she is about 12 or 13 years old and she has been with my family for as long as forrever. im worried about her, when she breathes while she is sleeping her chest moves up and down in different, funny ways instead of steadily. And sometimes when she is sleeping she makes little snoring, wimpery noises when she breathes.
She still eats, and follows her ordinary routine like usual. Also, she has been carrying her feces upstairs from the basement litter box, even though the litter box is clean.

Asked by Member 969488 on Mar 1st 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm sorry we can't give you a medical diagnoses on what, if anything, is wrong with your kitty. We aren't vets here, and even if we were, we shouldn't diagnose or prescribe treatment for a cat we don't know and have never seen. Your best bet is to get your cat to a vet as soon as possible and have the breathing checked out. It could be many things including heart problems or an upper respiratory infection. The only one who can tell for sure is a vet who can then advise you on treatment. As for carrying her feces around, this could be a sign of kitty Alzheimer's. That again is something your vet can diagnose and treat. It sounds like shes given you many good years. Don't let her down now--get her a medical exam to make sure she's OK.

Harvey

I have never had a cat who carried feces around--and I've had a lot of cats who lived to a ripe old age. I have had a cat, who died at 18, who showed signs of senile dementia during the year before he died. This is obviously something that needs a vet check. Get a second opinion if necessary. I am speaking from experience--I rotate among three vets, and had to take Harvey to eight vets before his gum problem was properly assessed and treated. I have a six month old kitten, Quincy, who has an enlarged heart that puts pressure on his lungs. This means that he breathes faster and more heavily than he should. Unfortunately, it also means that he could die at any time. Your cat probably doesn't have the same illness. But do take Kitty to the vet. And if you don't get a satifactory diagnosis, go to a second vet. Ah, the joys and pains of being a cat owner...

Harvey answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer