my cat is about 1 1/2 yrs old. he doesn't meow, but makes a little chirping type of noise. Has anyone ever heard of th

I just adopted this siamese mix who is about 1 1/2 yrs old. He's lived w me for about 2 months, but he doesn't meow. He makes this little chirping/clicking type noise. Is this normal or will he eventually grow into his meow?

Asked by Member 562578 on Jan 25th 2008 Tagged mycatdoesntmeow in Behavior & Training

Answers

I had a friend who owned a Siamese who made a similar noise. Perhaps Siamese just don't meow???

Monkey

it's a beckoning call... it's a come play with me or give me attention sound..

My kitty is Maine Coon and that's his only meow... He only yowls when his doggie brother goes out for a walk and how dare we take him away LoL

I love the sound it's so cute

Monkey answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sophia Marie

and by the way, boy can saimese meow! loudly!

just be glad you've been spared this particular mew so far!

:-)

Sophia Marie answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

It took Hunter about 4 months to learn how to MEOW but I think his little chirps are so darn cute, I don't mind at all. He learned from seeing Sam meow at us and getting attention in response. Even now he barely ever uses the meow and its a pretty funny sounding one. I'm wondering what kind of situation you got him from? Meow is a sound cats make to communicate with people, they usually use their clicks, etc to communicate with other kitties. If he hasn't spent a lot of time with people then he might not know yet. And he might grow into it, or he might not, but you'll definitely learn to tell what he's saying to you : )

Hunter answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Etta James

I have had cats all my long life and in that time I have had two cats who "chirped" instead of meowing. The vet checked their throats and said they were just fine. Sometimes it is the breed and sometimes it is a quirk of an individual cat, but if the vet says it is ok...don't worry about it. My last "chirping" kitty lived over twenty years. I found it very charming and sweet. EJ's MOM

Etta James answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kiara

Siamese are a very talkative cat. The chirps are normal.

I'm a bengal, and I chirp too! I chirp at my toys before I pounce at them, and when I want attention I sound like a little car muffler.

My mom thinks its really cute!

Kiara answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zurich

all 3 of my Siamese make this noise :) other cats do it too but maybe more indicative of Siamese??? The other cats only do it when they see birds outside...but the other babies will do it for attention...especially Zurich...it's his way of talking and he's 1 yr old :)

Zurich answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Indiana

My cat meows but she also chirps when she sees birds, butterflies or anything like that outside. We can even use a flashlight on the wall and she will chirp at that. I think it is so cute!

Indiana answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Both of my cats chirp and only one is Siamese. They chirp when they are excited and when the preditor/prey instinct gets kicked off.

Siamese are incredibly vocal cats, general speaking. When mine wants something or is lonely she sqwalls but the rest of the time, just small churps.