Scruffy

My cat is a very happy loved cat but bites when playing !

My cat bites she is a very loved cat but she bites when i am playing with her what shall i do?

Asked by Scruffy on Dec 18th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Don't worry its not only your cat! My kitten does it too and shes very happy loved kitten too! I not sure why they do that.

Cats sometime do that when they are overstimulated, especially when young. They go from pleasure to "enough" in a very short time. I, never play with our hands, use toys, so your hands are not considered as toys. And when you see your cat have enough, stop. For exeample, if her tail swings widely, if she try to go away. And whenever she bites you, stop. It should help. Good luck!

Timba

I read somewhere that cats yowl or shriek when play gets too rough with each other, so the article suggested that we humans do something akin to this when our cats bite. I felt completely ridiculous doing it, but sure enough, a high pitched yelp was enough to get my Bitey Boy's attention. I've also just yelled "Ow!" at a moderate level, and that works. After uttering your preferred noise, set your cat down. Doing it consistently sends the message that playtime ends when it gets too rough.

A major one I learned with Bitely Boy, tempting as it is, is to not wiggle fingers and allow my hands to be the play object. When they bite, place a toy in their face as a substitute. A trick I learned with playing with toys, is to pet my cat a few strokes, or pick him up and pet his face and smooch him, then set him down. Short bursts of positive normal touch combined with being consistent with toys, yelping, and ending playtime seems to have worked with Bitely Boy. Hope this helps!

Timba answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Baby

My cat baby does that to!This is not a mean cat,its a sign that this is fun but can we move on?Or,this is fun!Can we start biting for real now?Your cat wants to play with you too,telling you to bite her back.She will expect you to bite her back when you won't so then she will bite you again.If this is hard biting and leaves a mark,don't scold your cat,walk away and she'ill understand that you don't want to do this.Do this a couple of times until she gives in and gets the message.Hope this works!

Baby answered on 12/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer