Mack

My cat has SUPER stinky toots and bowel movements!

Heres what happened about a week ago; Nutro recalled the food my cat was eating so I took it from him right away and switched him to Halo Spot's Stew. I knew there would be some issues from switching his food right away but it seems like its lasted more than expected.

When will his stomach settle down? He has the smelliest toots and poops, ever more than when he was a little kitten.

Also, he loves eating the dry Spot's Stew so I haven't been feeding him the wet anymore, its a ton easier.

Thanks!

Asked by Mack on Jun 3rd 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

Its probably just the food change and he should improve gradually. You can try a probiotic like Forti Flora to help.

If Mack still has this problem after a couple of weeks there may just be something in the new food that disagrees with him and you should try switching gradually to another high quality food. You can check for one with similar main ingredients (1st few listed) to Nutro to have a better chance of finding one he'll do well on.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 6/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harvey

It could be the sudden change of food, or it could be that what you're feeding him now just doesn't agree with him. Harvey has a tendency to have loose, smelly stools, and while I plan to take him to a specialist in the near future, for the time being, I'm feeding him Science Diet Hairball Control (he has no problems with hairballs, but the extra fiber in Hairball Control not only gives him nice, firm Tootsie-Rolls, but cuts down on the odor 99%). On Catster, we often hear that a sudden change in food can cause digestive distress, and I'm sure that must be true for many cats. My crew, however, often get a mixture of two or more foods in one bowl, and the only cat with gastroenterological problems is Harvey, who has had these problems since I adopted him. Conclusion? It might take Mack a while to get used to the new food; or, it just might not be agreeing with him. My advice? Feed him what you have left, and then try another food.

He has been tested for worms, right?

Harvey answered on 6/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A sudden change in diet could most definitely cause gastrointestinal issues. When possible, it's always best to introduce a new food very slowly, adding just a little to the existing food. I've found the the higher the protein in the food, the less smelly the stools. Make sure to read the ingredients and you should see chicken, lamb, etc as the 1st ingredient. When you see corn and wheat type fillers, the food isn't as good for a carnivore kitty... unless they have kidney problems.

You might also want to look into a holistic food. I'm going to be trying one when I get my new kitten later this month and I'll post how I like it...or, rather, how my kitty likes it. ;)

I hope his tummy calms down because Halo Spot's Stew is an excellent product with good quality ingredients. Real meat, no gluten, wheat or corn, etc. In my opinion, better than the Nutro products. I would try the probiotic suggestion (Bene-bac is another one that you can get at Petsmart or Petco) and see if that helps before changing him again. I don't think that a week is too long to still be gassy and have diarrhea after a sudden food change. You switched from a products that uses tons of grain (corn gluten meal, wheat flour, ground rice) and has "chicken meal" as its main ingredient, to one with limited grains and real chicken (or salmon depending on which one you bought) that's a drastic change.

I agree that it's probably the food that's giving him digestive upsets, especially if you just stopped feeding him Nutro and started feeding him the other. Usually, we integrate the new food in the the old, slowly increasing the amount of the new over a week or so until it's all new. But I understand your concern over the recalled food and why you did it the way you did. If you are concerned that because the Nutro was recalled and that may be why Mack has problems, call your vet for advice.