My cat has started peeing on the bed. I've taken her to the vet and she is healthy. She is 4 years old and this recent

Asked by Member 1128342 on Aug 30th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Did you take her to the vet specifically for the peeing issues? If not, she needs to have her urine tested to make sure she doesn't have an infection. This can cause her to dribble or pee wherever she happens to be at the moment. The urge is sudden and strong. Make sure you bleach your bedding if possible and if the urine has soaked through to the mattress, you'll need to get a waterproof mattress pad to block the odor and encourage her to use your bed again. While you're at the vet, have a talk with them to see if you can spot anything that might have changed in your cat's life recently that could cause her to want to pee outside the box. Make sure her box is VERY clean, that you haven't switched litter, that no one is bothering her while she's using the box, etc. You might even want to put out more boxes for her so there's always one close-by. It's kind of inconvenient to have lots of litter boxes around, I know. But if it prevents her from using your bed, it's worth it.

Hi there... I have a question for you. Have you recently gone away on vacation or spent more time away than usual from home? My cat was several years old before she decided that when I left on vaca for 2 weeks that she was not happy and started peeing on the bed. I resorted to covering my bed with a shower curtain. Once I finally caught her in the act and gave her what for, verbally of course it can be just as hurtful to them... I never had the problem again or since and she is now 21 years old... just a thought from an old cat... ;)