My cat has started going hyperactive at night... with aggressive behavior and tearing around the house

We rehomed two 3 year old cats 3 weeks ago (brother & sister both been neutered) and our ManCat Merlin has just stared to go "hyper" at night, at about 1130pm. he is displaying aggressive/predatory behavior and running around the house, he has toys (shoe laces and tin foil) to play with and we make a point of playing with him, he can go from affectionate to aggresive in a matter of seconds yet his sister is very calm and has small outbursts during the day. He has kept me up from midnight tonight and I need to be up at 7am for work... its now 2am! Any suggestions would be fab!

Asked by Member 1140834 on Nov 15th 2012 Tagged hyperactiive, night in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

In multi-cat households, there is usually 1 cat who is the "Alpha" or leader. In your case, this seems to be Merlin. It sounds like he's come to the conclusion that he likes his new home and is very comfortable there. I would caution against the shoe laces since, if he chews them up and swallows them, it could cause an obstruction. Try getting some new toys like a feather-wand and extend your playtime. Remember that cats are nocturnal. My cats thunder through the house at night, too, but as long as I don't hear any crashes, I'm able to fall asleep. Aggression should not be tolerated, however. When he displays aggressive behavior, use a spray bottle and aim over his head, or a soda can with a few pennies taped inside to shake and say "NO!" Cats are independent, but that doesn't mean they can't learn what appropriate behavior is. It sounds like Merlin gets bored and needs something a little more engaging than what he has now. Good luck!