My cat has sores and scabs all over her head, neck and back...any ideas what it could be from?

my female, 5 year old cat has these sores that started a little over six months ago just around her shoulders and have spread all over now. We took her to the Vet right away to have blood work and a biopsy done. They ruled out ringworm, fungal infection, and diabetes and said that it is most likely an allergic reaction based on her blood cell counts and so he had us start giving her kitty allergy medication. This medication did absolutely nothing and the sores have just gotten worse. We changed her food to something the vet suggested and we threw out all of the blankets that she likes to lay on and replaced them with new, clean ones but since she is an indoor/outdoor cat there was not much else we could do. She is also slightly overweight and her back is too tender to even touch so we haven't tried to bathe her. any ideas of what this could be? could it be cancer? anything else we should try? thanks!

Asked by Member 971054 on Mar 6th 2010 in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Spike

Aw, poor Kitty!!! You're doing your best by her. A second opinion, if you can afford it, is never a bad idea. I had to take Harvey to eight vets to get his gum problem diagnosed and treated. You've gotten good advice from the other posters. I just want to add that steroids are serious meds. My mother had rheumatoid arthritis, which responds to steroids, but her doctors were very, very sparing in how often they gave them to her. As for your cat being overweight--my Spike is, ahem, obese. For a while, he was having dandruff and greasy fur because he was simply too fat to groom himself properly. I don't think that this is your kitty's problem, though. Kitty needs another diagnosis by another vet. And another vet after that, if necessary. Purrs....

Spike answered on Mar 7th.

Answers

Rex

I'm not a vet and can only guess. It's possible that she has some kind of allergy or sking problems. There are vets that specialize in dermotology. Look in your area and find one that does. Also, try keeping her indoors, it could be something outside that is causing it. I sure hope you find out what is wrong with your kitty.

Rex answered on 3/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If it were my cat, I would take her back to the vet and try getting her on some steroids. That would help clear up the problem, but you still don't know what you are treating. Keeping the cat indoors would definitely help, as she may be coming into contact with something outside which is causing this. Is it a flea problem? I would suggest steroids and a good topical flea med (Advantage or Front Line). See if you get any results with these two remedies. Best of luck.