Jack

My cat has fur growing out of his paw pad. Is this normal?

My kitty Jack has eosinophylic granuloma (severe allergies), and his paw pads are twice the size of a "normal" kitty. That being said, they are often puffy. However, a few months ago we noticed fur growing out of his left pad. Now it's covering nearly half of his pad. I'm wondering if this is normal, or if we should be concerned? He isn't in pain, and is acting normal, but it's just bizarre. Anyone have any experience with furry pads?

Asked by Jack on Nov 15th 2009 Tagged fur, health, paws, allergies, eosinophyliccomplex in Health & Wellness

Answers

I have Didi who is same size with your Jack. He has fur grow out of his paw pad too. However,
all his paw pads look same. My another cat Milk
who has more fur grow out of his paw pads too. For me, they are normal. If Jack is not in pain, acting normal, no limp. I think it may be normal. It will be good if you can watch closely. If it grows
very fast and huge, it will not hurt if you want to take Jack to see the Vet.

Hope Jack is fine.

From what I've read about this, I don't think the fur growth on his paw pads is related to his allergies. It's possbile that on his Family Tree, Jack may have some Maine Coon or other breed that has fur between it's toes. Izzie is part MC and he has fur between all 4 paw pads You already know that you and his doc will need to monitor Jack all his life for lesions that this conditon causes and be especially vigilant about flea infestations. Purrs and hugs to Jack!

Oscar J. has some hair in between his pads too. He's moggie, but his Daddy is convinced he's part MC. :D

Lazy

we went to the vet 2 weeks ago coz my kitty Lazy keeps sneezing & i thought it was URI but vet told me he has allergies...so i asked lot of stuff too and i asked about his paw pads coz they are twice the size of a normal kitten & theres fur growing between his toes & both pads...vet said its normal coz he is a Ragdoll & also like what Izzie said...

if he is eating, playing acting normal you dont have anything to worry about =)

Lazy answered on 11/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer