My cat has ear mites I bought some drops at Petsmart for it. My question is how do I clean her ears to get the mites ou

I can see the ear mites the black dots in only one ear, do I still treat both ears? And also how do I remove the ear mites, does the medicine wash them away?

Asked by Member 1123505 on Jul 31st 2012 Tagged earmiteremoval in Medications

Answers

First, you cat needs to see a vet to confirm it is ear mites. Your cat could have mites, an infection, or both. And, honestly, the over the counter earmite medication is usually not very effective. Mites can sometimes be difficult to get rid of, and you will need prescription strength medication to effectively treat it. Yes, you will need to treat both her ears and every other cat and dog in the house or the mites will spread.

Nika

Generally you would put a couple of drops into the ear then massage the lower ear to get the drops to go down into the canal. Next you would take a cotton ball and try to wipe out as much goo as you can. Holding the cotton ball down into the ear, you can move your hand back and forth to help pull up mites from lower in the ear. Don't use Q-tips as you can accidently hit the ear drum. If your cat's ear is infected badly she may not let you clean them. It may take several attempts.

Nika answered on 8/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer