My cat has been severely licking and pulling out his fur on front legs and stomach.

I went through the forum but thought I'd post my own version. My cat is indoor/outdoor and turned 18 in June. For the last 2 years he has been licking/pulling out his fur. This year it's really bad with severe barbering. He is on Revolution. Took him to the vet who said it's not fleas or mites. No cortisone shots because of his age vet said. Tried switching food and that seemed to work for a month but came back with a vengence. We've lived here all pf his life, no new pets to the family, has the run of the house/outdoors. I feel it may be stress as there are a lot of new cats in the area that are indoor/outdoor as well. I can't keep him indoors because he as well as we would be miserable with the meowing to go out. So this may in the end just be venting but I feel bad and don't know what to do. May want to try a different diet, maybe raw? Anyone have any suggestions for that? He is currently eating Wellness brand dry and wet foods. Thanks for any help!

Asked by Member 1136793 on Oct 20th 2012 in Skin Problems

Answers

I know how helpless you feel. It's possible it's stress, but if he's been outside all his life, he should be used to meeting "new neighbors". When Delilah started to lose her fur, I switched (gradually) to Purina One for Sensitive Skin/Digestion and it seemed to work, but she still mats and sheds a LOT. At Sassy's age, you may want to stay in close contact with your vet. If it IS stress, he may benefit from some anti-anxiety meds if the vet thinks it might help. Remember, in "people years", Sassy would be around 120 years old with all the concerns old age brings with it. Good luck and purrs! Hope you find the reason for his fur loss soon!