My cat has a soft, pointy, bloody "object" sticking out of his chin/jaw. What should I do?

My cat has a soft, pointy, bloody "object" sticking out of his chin/jaw. He can still open his mouth all the way (yawning) and is still able to eat (at least a little bit). It seems to hurt him when I try to examine/touch it. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1100623 on Mar 18th 2012 Tagged cat, kitty, kitten, blood, bloody, chin, jaw, mouth, help in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Take your cat to a 24 hour emergency clinic now! We are not vets here, only people who love cats. No one can examine or treat your cat over the internet. Go to an emergency clinic now!

Obviously, your cat needs to be seen by a vet IMMEDIATELY. If YOU had a "bloody object" sticking out of your face, would you seek medical attention for yourself? Of course you would! Your cat deserves the same level of care. Ignoring this problem could lead to an infection or worse, and it is unbelievably cruel to allow your cat to remain in pain. Get to the vet.

I have to hope that you already knew what to do when you posted this question. If you really thought we could help, perhaps you need to surrender your cat to shelter or find him another home. Even if we were verterinary professionals here, there is no way we could help your poor cat over a computer. If he's hurt and bleeding, he needs to be seen immediately by a vet. The wound will become infected and your cat will more than likely die if he's not treated. If money is a problem, I've never heard of a vet who will refuse to treat an injured animal and will work out a payment plan with you. If you don't have a vet, get yourself and your cat to an emergency clinic, then find a regular vet. Best of luck. Hope he's OK. But ultimately, his survival is up to you.