Amigo

My cat has a high fever 104.9

Hello,
I took Meowgi to the vet this morning and he has a fever. It was 104 . something. The doctor said it is a fever of unknown origin. He is to still take Clavamox and now along with another medication called Zeniquin. We are force feeding him, although he doesn't mind too much, and we are also giving him pediatric electrolyte. We bought a thermometer to take his temperature and it is 104.9! I'm very concerned! I don't know what to do. We turned on the AC in the room to get the room to cool down, and have been placing an ice pack on his abdomen. Do you have any suggestions as to what else we can do to get his fever to go down? Please, we really need advice and suggestions.

Asked by Amigo on May 18th 2010 Tagged highfever in Illness & Disease

Answers

If your cat's fever is still 104, you need to get him back to the vet. There must be some infection going on and Clavamox isn't working. I don't know why you are giving him pediatric electrolye. Was this something your vet suggested? Has he been vomiting? If not, I would not give the electrolyte. You could be starting more serious problems. Electrolytes are nothing to mess with unless prescribed by your vet. Did your vet do lab work? If not, find another vet. In any event, a trip back to the vet is needed ASAP if that fever doesn't go below 103. Best wishes to kitty.

Hunter *Dreamboat #82*

Hi, I don't want to cause more worry, but I feel the need to let you know what happened to my kitty angel Hanna. She had a UTI and was prescribed Zeniquin. She got better after about 5 days. Then I noticed her left eye was dialated. I brought her to the vets and they said there was nothing wrong with her and to bring her to an opthamologist. The opthamologist said she had glaucoma caused by the Zeniquin, and she was prescribed drops. She got so bad that she was breathing heavy, her tongue stuck out all the time, she couldn't eat, and was drooling. She was disoriented, could barely walk. I brought her to so many Vets and they all said there was nothing wrong with her. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and brought her to an emergency Vet in the area. She had a brain malfunction and was on oxygen to breathe. I had to put her down. Sorry for being so long winded, but research Zeniquin! If Hanna wasn't on this, she would be here with me today. Watch your cat carefully! Good Luck!

Hunter *Dreamboat #82* answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know you've been having health concerns with Meowgi, and I'm sure all of us wish we could be there to help him. But, unfortunately, we can't be and we aren't vets who can give out professional medical advice. I sense you are in a panic over Meowgi's health, but really the only ones who can help are the vets. Pediatric electrolytes are OK, but he really needs just plan, cool water. I'd be careful with the ice pack-don't put it directly on his skin. Wrap it in a towel first. Has the vet done blood tests? If Meowgi's fever does not subside, you might want to ask about a specialty vet clinic. Remember that fevers are a way that the body has to fight off infection, but if his fever starts to rise, take him to an emergency vet clinic immediately. If there are none where you live, call your vet now and ask what to do in case of an emergency and the office is closed.