My cat has a hard stool. What can I do?

My cat has a tendency to not use the litter box. When I pick up to fecal matter, it is hard. That seems to me that maybe he is constipated. What can I do for this problem>

Asked by Member 707654 on Mar 6th 2011 Tagged hardstool, constipation in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Dahlia

Laxatone is a gel that can be given manually or mixed into the food, and it helps to soften the stools. You may purchase it at a vet's office or a pet supply store. If your feline goes more than a day without defacating, a vet needs to become involved. Sometimes cats get backed up and need what is the equivalent of a human colon cleansing to get their system cleared. If this is a problem that's been going on for awhile, you may need to take a look at the diet, as it may be causing the hard stools. A vet can guide you on the possible diet options that would assist with this problem.

Dahlia answered on 3/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes he's constipated. He's associating the litterbox with pains in his little butt. When you see the vet and get it cleared up he should return to the box for pooping. If he doesn't then just pick up the poops and place them back in the box. Start the box training back up again. You may have to put him in the bathroom with the box and food etc. like you would a kitten until he knows his poor little booty isn't going to hurt with box usage.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

We give Balty lactulose about 3-5 mls/day between the cheek and teeth, as needed. This seems to work really well for him. Some say to feed pumkin but we haven't tried that one yet.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 3/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer