My cat has a deep scratch on her neck. How can i care for it without takiing her to the vet.

Her cut is on the back of her neck, where only her back paws can reach.

Also, it is very deep, where there is no longer any hair on it and there is a small patch of blood.

I worry she may be scratching it and do this to herself.

Asked by Member 649531 on Jul 4th 2008 Tagged cuts in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

If you don't know where she was injured, there could be dirt or saliva from another animal in the wound. You need to wash it with antibacterial soap and water and rinse well. If she is scratching at it, she may introduce more dirt into the wound. If it gets infected and the bacteria gets into her blood and she's not on antibiotics or under a vet's care, you can lose her very easily. I read that the only way to prevent her from scratching back there is to wrap her paw up. She may also have contact allergies and need medication for that. If it were my cat, I'd take her to the doctor. My cats give me 100% and the least I can do is give it back to them.

Schmoo

I have to agree with Izzie on this one. Since you don't know where the cut came from, there are 2 possibilites. A) she got cut by something outside - another animal or something sharp - and it could be infected. In that case the wound needs to be assessed for treatment by a vet. or B) she scratched herself with her own back claw - which could indicate she scratched hard because she has skin irritation or allergies. In that case, she's going to do it again, so you need to have the vet assess a possible skin condition to treat the underlying cause so it won't happen again.

Also if it is a deep scratch, it may need stitches. She will "pick" at it with her back feet and worsen it until it is taken care of. Please take her to the vet. This is something you don't want to fool around with!

Schmoo answered on 7/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tabby

Hi,
It sounds more like a skin allergy. Please check the below website. It gives a lot of information on various types of skin allergies what symptoms you need to look for , how to treat etc.
<www.petplace.com/cats/pruritus-itchiness-in-cats/page1.aspx>

Tabby answered on 7/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer