Bo

My cat got out and was hurt,he has a puncture wound, fever,won't eat or drink today.How long can he go without drinking?

I will be calling the vet tomorrow morning to see if they can get him in.

Asked by Bo on Apr 19th 2013 Tagged hurt in Health & Wellness

Answers

West

What a handsome boy!

If a cat gets dehydrated, it can be extremely serious. I really recommend calling the ER vet and taking him in tonight for that wound, because it sounds like he's contracted an infection that could really worsen quickly.

If you absolutely can't, make sure to get him in the AM... and in the meantime, do as much as you can to get fluids in him. Try tuna broth.

West answered on 4/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree that your cat needs to be seen, even by an ER Pet Clinic as soon as possible and I hope that by now you've gotten him in. Dehydration is just one of the issues he faces. The wounds you can see are more serious and so could ones you might possible not be able to see, such as internal injuries. If he were my cat, I would not try to get him to eat or drink at all until he is seen by the vet. I'm concerned that if he has internal injuries, putting anything into him may cause peritonitis. That just my opinion. The most important thing is that you get him to a vet as soon as you possibly can. Good luck, we send purrs for his fast recovery. Keep us updated!