my cat eats IAMS low residue. Due to the increasing cost, is there an alternative that can be purchased at a store. It

the cat food went up 4.00 in about 6 weeks. It is now almost 27.00 for a 5.5 lb. bag. Is there an alternative food that I could purchase at the pet stores?

Asked by Member 197744 on Nov 17th 2008 Tagged food, nutrition in Food & Nutrition

Answers

IAMS low residue is $23.99 for the 5.5 pound bag on Petfooddirect.com. But with the shipping, it would probably end up being just as much if not more than it costs at the vet unless you catch them running a good coupon. I would try asking your vet if they can offer any lower cost suggestions for food for your cat's health condition. Royal Canin also makes a prescription diet for intestinal issues that costs about the same for a 7 pound bag. It sounds similar but still requires an Rx from the vet so you'd still need to ask the vet about it.

First why are you feeding low residue? IAMs in general, imo, makes terrible food. Check the labels of your food, especially the first 4 ir 5 items. To many foods are adding vegetables to cat foods and they just don't digest plant materials well. They are obligate carnivores, need a meat based protien without all the added junk. Try ProPac Kitten,yes Kitten, no matter what the age. It has a good high protien level without all the added junk and the cost is around7.00 a bag. You may have to get your store to order it for you as many don't carry in stock. Instead they fall prey to the big business Science Death foods that advertise and pay vets to promote. If you need more info on inappropriate cat ingredients, please let me know.

I feed my cat Wellness dry and canned food. It is an excellent natural food that costs $1.29 for a 5.5 oz. can. My cat has an irritable bowel problem and this seems to be the only food she can tolerate. I also give her the Core dry formula that Wellness makes. It costs about $8.99 for the small bag. Both of these foods are grain free. I don't know what the reason is for feeding your cat low residue food, but Iams isn't the best out there for the money. You are paying way too much for just a premium commercial cat food. Try Wellness or any other organic foods.