My cat died this morning. Should his sisters see his body?

Asked by Member 1021070 on Jan 28th 2011 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

When my cats have died, I have let the other cats see the body, especially if they have been together for many years. (If they're still small kittens, they probably won't even notice if one of their group has gone missing). Don't be surprised if the other cats react with obvious fear and distaste. Perhaps there are cats who try to lick their dead buddy back to life, but I've never had one. Cats do understand that the other cat is dead. And it is not uncommon for them to mourn when a companion cat dies. Since your sisters have each other, that should ease the pain.

I just want to let you know that I am very sorry for your loss. It isn't easy losing a beloved pet. I lost my cat almost three years ago and still mourn for her from time to time. In answer to your question, it is up to you whether or not you feel that your cat's sisters should see their deceased brother. Maybe they should so that they will know that he died. Again, this is your decision. Your cats may mourn for their brother. Then again, they have each other and may get over it more quickly. So sorry for your loss.