Annie

My cat desperately wants to go outside... should I let her?

We rescued Annie in November, and she's been inside all winter. She meowed at the door the first few days, but seemed okay after that. Now that it's nice out, every time we take the dogs outside, she's standing at the door meowing. I don't want an outside cat, or really even a partial outside cat, but she seems so upset. Do you think she'll adjust, or is it likely she'll keep up the meowing thing all summer? I wouldn't be opposed to taking her outside on a harness and leash, but I'm afraid that will just get her used to it and make her think it's okay to go out. What do you think?

Asked by Annie on Apr 21st 2008 in Noisiness

Best Answer

There have been many Catsters who have successfully leash-trained their kitties. It depends on the cat, actually. Ernie loves to roam in the field behind our house, explore under our neighbor's deck and occasionally climb a tree. He comes running when called and is out no more than an hour a day. I am not a big fan of outdoor cats and I do worry when he's out. But he would be miserable on a leash. He would be one of those kitties who rolls, lies down and doesn't move with one on. All Annie's mom can do is try her on a harness. It takes patience to leash train a kitty, and Annie may be like Ernie and bolt out the door when their dogs go out. I've trained Ernie to come when I call. I always give him a favorite treat like deli turkey, Catsip or one of his cat treats when he comes back. Unfortunately, leash training wouldn't do much good if she does bolt out, but it's worth a shot.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Apr 21st.

Answers

Goreous cat! Tortie power! This question is beyond my league. At least you know all the dangers she faces if she goes outside--disease, cat fights, abuse at the hands of humans, accidents. But I would like to hear what knowledgeable Catsters have to say about using a leash. Does taking a (vaccinated) cat for a walk pose a health hazard through exposing it to germs, even if the cat doesn't meet up with another cat? Sorry, that's not your question, Annie, I know. You want to know if taking your cat out will make her want to go out even more. Well, Catsters?

My Lily is the same age as your Annie. If you trust her not to run off, I would say you can take her outside as long as you go outside with her. Otherwise, I would put her on a leash. Lily has a 10-foot leash with harness. She cannot be trusted outside. She has been known to take off and dash out in the street. When she wants to go outside, I just tie her leash to the front porch. She likes to stretch out in the sun.

Astrid

I am guessing it is up to each persons idea of what cats should be alowed to do. I am a firm believer in keeping my cats indoors. To many dangers outside. My boy friend is a firm believer in all animals should be outside in their natural habitat. We don't agree on anything with the dogs and cats,lol. I know mine are safe and well fed and happy cats.This is just my opinion on this topic.

Astrid answered on 4/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm a firm believer in not letting cats outside-way to many dangers. Lola was a stray outdoor kitty when I found her and we had the same prob-she would try to slip out the door, I was paranoid about losing her.
So I made her a special ledge by a window and everyday I open the window up for her (sometimes just a little in the winter). In the summer she will sit there all day. She never tries to go out now and is as happy as can be! Maybe Annie just wants to smell the fresh air and hear/pester the birds. Its a good alternative to meet cats half way and keep them safe.