My cat cleans himself all the time and he is an indoor cat. Is something wrong with him?

I adopted my cat almost 8 months ago. He is loving and sweet. He is also a polydactyl. He cleans himself constantly and keeps us up at night with his loud cleaning. Is something wrong with this since he is an indoor cat and doesn't get that dirty?

Asked by Member 859347 on Jul 22nd 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

Oscar J is an indoor kitty and he's a meticulous groomer too. I think it's a personality thing. Cats are just concerned with clean. :D

Louie (1996-2013)

Have you taken him to the vet to check for allergies and to check on his overall skin condition?

My Louie always over grooms in the spring when allergies are bad, and will lick himself raw if he eats food with salmon in it.

Growing up, I had a dog that would constantly lick her paws, and we found out she was arthritic.

Talk to your vet. If it's an skin problem, they can help. If it's an OCD problem, they can treat that too. But it might just be kitty is fussy.

Louie (1996-2013) answered on 7/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Actually, cats groom about 30% of their day away. As long as he is not licking himself to the extent that his skin is inflamed, I wouldn't worry about it. Excessive grooming can also be caused by stress, fleas, a skin infection or allergies. If you've omitted all these as a reason, I'd chalk it up to a habit like thumb-sucking in children or fingernail biting in adults.