My approx 16yr. old tabby named Bobcat was just started on Methimaz 2.5mg twice daily.

Bobcat, is 3-4 weeks on the drug Methimaz 2.5mg twice daily. He has not yet received his first post start of drug blood test. He started eating and drinking much less and seems uninterested in eating except when presented fresh steamed shrimp. He talks and seems to like and promote contact with me, but does not play.What is in store for Bobcat long and short term RE quality of life. Is it possiblet to maximize his long and short term quality of life, and how can it be done..

Asked by Member 765303 on Nov 9th 2008 in Homemade Food

Answers

Minxy (1987-2008)

Hyperthyroid cats have very fast metabolisms and the meds slow that down to more normal rates so a reduced appetite is normal. I didn't notice any changes in playfulness in my cats after they started their meds.

If Bobcats appetite/eating is much lower than normal this could be due to a couple of issues. The meds could be sending his thyroid levels too low and need to be reduced - a blood test by the vet can confirm this. The meds sometimes cause a side effect of nausea which may be making him eat less than he needs - the vet can help deal with this if necessary.

You should call your vet and describe the changes and how much he's eating to see if they are normal or if you you should take him back early for a recheck.

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer