My 9 week old kitten likes to cuddle up to my neck and rub her head under my chin

My 9 week old kitten likes to cuddle up to my neck and rub her head under my chin...she was taken from her mother around 4wks old & I adopted her at 7 weeks old. I'm not complaining...I was just wondering if this behavior is normal or maybe a result from being without a mother for so long?

Asked by Member 668164 on Aug 7th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Howie

My Howie has done a similar thing to me his whole life, and I see nothing wrong with this extra affection. He loves to be tucked between my neck and shoulder, kneading and purring away. It is the sweetest thing, and all of my friends that see it are jealous! Awwww...:-) When he was a little kitten he used to suckle on my earlobe, which took some training to get him out of that habit. Now that he's a big boy, he now will drape around my neck, holding on to my shoulders, purring like crazy as I walk around the house. He too left his momma early, so maybe it has something to do with it. You are now looked at as his momma, so just be happy that he loves you this much for such special cuddles.

Howie answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There's a very good chance that your little baby was not with her mom long enough. Mama kittens teach their babies a lot in the first weeks of life, as do the siblings in the nest. By rubbing on you, she may also be "marking" you as her's. My Ernie does this a lot to me. Cats, like people, are certainly individuals. Some people HATE to be touched, hugged, whatever, and others are huggers, kissers, touchers... You are obviously a surrogate. A lot of people who write to us ask why their cats are not more affectionate, so consider yourself lucky that you're a "hero" to your baby! And, give her a cuddle for us!

Gracie

Yeah, it's normal for some kittens. That is, some kittens are super affectionate with humans. If you're very lucky, she'll stay cuddly all his life. If not, she might grow more aloof and show his love in more indirect ways. Either way, I'm sure you'll treasure the memories of what she's doing right now. :)

Gracie answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

Necks are my favourite place, and every morning I wake mummy up by snuggling up to her face and chin in the morning. I'm a rescue and very attached to my primary carer. There's no problem apart from the cathair on the pillows making daddy a bit allergic. I think its lovely to cuddle up this way!

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer