my 8 yr old cat has been using the litter box more frequently. She spends more time in it. She also is licking herself.

She also has urinated a little outside of the litter box. She spends several minutes acting like she is going but then only goes alittle. She does show any signs of pain.

Asked by Member 1073734 on Nov 28th 2011 in Illness & Disease

Answers

It sounds like your cat has a bladder infection. Urinating outside the box, licking, and spending more time in the box are all signs of a bladder infection and urinary pain. Urinary infections in cats can be very uncomfortable. If you've ever had a bladder infection - you know! Urinary infections can also spread to the kidneys which can be serious. Please call your vet and get her in ASAP! If money is an issue, see if they will work out a payment plan or apply for Care Credit.

Roush

This is very serious! Your cat may have a urinary tract blockage which if not treated within so many hours can kill her. Please take her to the vet ASAP. My vet first diagnosed my cat with a UTI when he actually had a blockage that almost killed him, we had to take him to a 24-hour animal emergency clinic.

My cat didn't show signs of pain either, cats are very good at hiding it!

Roush answered on 11/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer