My 8 week old kitten will not sleep at night, she keeps meowing scrathing me.

My 8 week old kitten will not sleep at night, she meows, and scatches me, I try and put her on the floor to play but she just jumps back on the bed and meows and scatches. If I put her in a room by herself she crys and crys, What should I do?

Asked by Member 738823 on Sep 18th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Atrus

An 8 week old kitten is a _baby_ and should not have been taken from its mother for at least another month. As such, it's going to be very needy. Cats are nocturnal animals and very active at night. If you play with your kitten before you go to sleep, she may become tired and more likely to be quiet. If you put her out of the room, she's going to cry to get back in, but as long as you ignore her she will eventually stop. This is not unusual and is perfectly normal for such a young kitten and will continue for some time. The kitten is not being "bad" and you certainly shouldn't punish her for it. If this is something you don't want to deal with for the next few months, consider getting an adult cat instead.

Atrus answered on 9/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Mulan

We adopted Mulan at 3 m/o but our own vet examined /said her dentition was more like a 2 m/o. Who really knows! However, her behavior was exactly as GUEST's 8 w/o, and the reasons are exactly as answered! She's a bitty baby and needs Mommy! We stepped up to the task, and stayed up to help her understand her new world and gently introduce her to it. I drank a lot of coffee those 6 weeks. Looking back, some of the best times I had were at 3am with my little mischievous Siamese imp. What helped? TV on (sound very low they hear well!) on Animal Planet, and a cat sitting DVD. Replace your nightstand with a kitty condo next to your bed head. She sleeps next to you but in her space. Reach out and place your hand reassuringly near her ruff. It may not work right away, but later it will. Tie a string toy to your wrist and hang it over the bed- even though you are sleeping it'll bob and keep her occupied. For 10 minutes. Hey 10 minutes of sleep is better than none! Well, it's only 6 weeks!

Mulan answered on 9/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Gracie

She's lonely and bored, sounds like. Like the others said, try to make a bedtime routine where you play with her a lot to tire her out right before you go to bed. Then invite her in, and make a space for her at or near her bed. She should sleep like that for a couple of hours.

After that, ignore the meowing and scratching. In mom's experience, even if you get up to put her on the floor, this tells her that scratching worked in waking you up. Pretend to sleep like a rock, and in a few days she won't bother you anymore because she'll figure out it does not work. You have to do this consistently, or it won't work.

Leave out toys that she can play with alone. We both like the Turbo Scratcher and glow in the dark balls for solo play. I like over the door toys, Boris (brofur) not so much.

Of course, there's two cats here, so we have each other, but all the advice above is stuff that mom learned when she first took Boris in (he was six months old, but as needy as a young kitten).

Gracie answered on 9/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hi, I had the same problem a couple of nights ago with my 7 week old kitten, try putting a hot water bottle under his/her bed covers because it will think it's with his/her litter or try putting a ticking clock
under his/her covers because it will think it's his/her mum's heartbeat. I done the same with the hot water bottle and made sure he had plenty of toys and now I'm getting a peacful sleep all night.
Good luck x

Truffle

It was just the same when I got my kitten, I left her in her rooms in the house and she kept crying but after about 3-5 days she stopped and now she sleeps fine at night and never cries.

Truffle answered on 8/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer