my 7 wweek old kitten keeps hiding and wont eat

I got a 7 week old kitten and he hides everytime you put him down and i can only find him if he cries( which isnt often) , and he wont eat unless its right in front of him ,he hasnt drinkin anything,but the water i put in his food. He also wont go to the bathroom unless you take him there. i've only had him a couple days but sometimes it takes up to 8 hours before anyone has seen him. Is this normall for a kitten?

Asked by Member 937300 on Jan 10th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Seven weeks is a little young to be without his mother. But any new kitten should be kept confined to one "safe room" for the first couple of weeks. He should have a place to sleep, food, water, toys and a litterbox all in one closed room. I use a baby gate until they get smart enough to climb it but a room you can close the door will work just fine. Spend time with him in the room, play with him pet him, etc. But introduce him to the big scary world of his new house slowly. All at once, that's a lot for a baby to take in and I am sure he's just scared. It's not too late to start over at the beginning with him.

I have six kittens who are almost two months old--the usual age for cats to be adopted by their new homes. Conscientious breeders prefer to keep their kittens with their mother and siblings until they are around three months. My kittens have been weaned, but are still in the process of learning to eat dry food and use the litter box properly. Give your kitty time, and play the mother cat role.

You've gotten great advice from Leila and Allie. I'd like to add that your kitten needs to be socialized. As Leila said, you need to play "mama cat" to him. And as Allie said, he needs a "small" place to start out with because he is young. He needs lots of cuddling and body warmth from you. You need to talk in a soft voice to him and protect him from becoming frightened by other animals or people (especially children) in the house. He needs self-confidence and the normal curiosity that other kittens have. He's in a strange, new world and he is, quite frankly, terrified. If possible, can you adopt another kitten close to his age? They draw each other out, especally if the other kitten is a little more bold than he is. If not, then you will need to work with him and teach him. Good luck and let us know how it's going. You might want to consider joining Caster!