my 6 year old cat is losing her hair on both sides of her belly and her rear can you explain why.?

all of a sudden i guess in the last 3 months shes been losing her hair on both sides of her belly and her rear. i see no scabs, we havent changed her food at all. i was wondering if its stress like i have read. we just lost our yorkie after 16 years. my yorkie and cat were best friends. does she sence the loss to. she didnt start losing her hair until he was gone.

Asked by Member 557859 on Jan 13th 2008 Tagged hairloss in Health & Wellness

Answers

Anyone who says that animals don't mourn is crazy. Period. We almost lost our Golden when our little Yorkie-mix died years ago. She was depressed. I would be willing to bet that your kitty is going through a grieving process just like you are. Also, consider that the weather has changed. My son's cat, Cole, is kept inside in the winter and he has been known to lose his fur on his back and back legs also, from stress. My daughter feeds her cat, Josie, who loses hair from stress, Science Diet for Sensitive Skin. It works pretty well and is available at PetSmart stores. Good luck!

Boris

She's grieving. Most mammals don't have a concept of death that is as sophisticated as a human being, but they do understand loss, and it can be devastating to them just the same as it is to humans.

To her, your yorkie was a companion as much as you are, and she knows he went away and did not come back. This has her stressed out for a couple of reasons: she has no idea what happened to her best friend, and she might think "what if I had to go away too? I like it here and I don't want to!".

To address the companionship issue you can, when you both are ready, try and get another dog or cat. But the stress issue can only be solved by addressing it now. Give her extra love and care, and maybe use things like Feliway or Rescue Remedy to calm her a bit. You also might do well to talk to the vet about this, as s/he might have more suggestions on what to do about the cat's stress.

Boris answered on 1/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sydney

While I agree it could just be the stress of loosing her best friend that could be causing the hair loss another option could be that your kitty may have a health problem. There are some Endocrine disorders that cause hair loss very much in the pattern you are explaining. If the hair does not grow back it may be worth it to take her to the Vet and have some blood work done, let them determine if they think the hair loss is caused by an underlying disease or just due to mourning a loss.

Sydney answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer