my 6 week kitten refuses to drink out of a bowl. he eats out of one fine, but if you put water in it he sticks his head

Asked by Member 871207 on Aug 26th 2009 Tagged water in Kittens

Answers

Daphne

Is your kitty eating wet or dry food.?A lot of kitties that eat wet don't appear to drink as much. Your kitty may be drinking from other sources such as the sink, toilet, plants, etc. Your kitty may prefer running water so you may want to try the Drinkwell fountains. I have heard great things about them. Also, you may want to check if your little one is dehydrated if in fact he is not drinking. Check his skin turgor (gently pull back a portion of skin. If it falls back immediately than he is hydrated. if not he may be dehydrated and you should then take him to the vet.)

Daphne answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

My kittens also refuse to drink from bowls. I have a reservoir bowl that they will settle for, but whenever I walk into a bathroom or any room with a sink, I let them drink for a few minutes because they LOVE to drink from the sink. If I could afford a drinkwell fountain, I would have one in a heartbeat. You might look in to a fountain. Cats like fresh running water, and oftentimes they reject the taste of standing water in a bowl. With the reservoir bowl, Mieke has learned how to move the water with her paw and make fresh water come out, which she drinks eagerly. Before that, I worried constantly because she simply refused all standing water.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on 8/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When I am in the kitchen, if I turn on the tap, my Izzie appears out of nowhere and starts pawing at the water and drinking it. The idea of cats being afraid of water is bunk! If he's bothering me when I'm cooking, I turn on the tap and he's so engrossed in the water he leaves me alone! I have a Drinkwell fountain (you can find them online or at some pet stores) and all 3 of my cats love it. Your kitty is just a baby and he's busy exploring his world and being a kid. If he actually drinks water out of the bowl, let him play. Eating usually comes easy to a young kitten, but it takes them a little time to learn how to drink from anything that's not attached to momcat.