My 5 yr old tuxedo 'retired' male LOVES to eat cantaloupe and blueberries. Is this healthy? Is it strange?

We have had him since he was about 7 weeks old. He thinks he is human.

Asked by Member 1150571 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged fruit, eatinghabits in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cats can and will eat melons; watermelons, honeydew melons, cantaloupes. For most fruits, it depends if your cat has a weak stomach, if so don't feed it acidic foods like pineapple, oranges, and lemons. If it has a strong stomach feel free. But then again if anything strange starts happening I'd stop. Grapes and raisins are very bad for cats. These fruits can send them into renal failure (even small amounts depending on the size of your pet) often resulting in death. The Humane Society of the United States, as well as vets will tell you never to feed your pets grapes or raisins. And onions are also a no-no. My vet also suggested avoiding raspberries, although she could not remember the reason why....I opted not to risk it. Apples (NO seeds), plums, pears, and melon (especially cantaloupe) are ok too.